Have you heard of International Siblings Day (April 10th)?
How about International Coming Out Day (October 11th)?
What about Giving Tuesday on November 29th?
Whether you’re a business or an individual, it’s time to add this celebration of generosity to your calendar. Pssst, remember to check whether your mother’s birthday is coming up at the same time.
Are you ready to learn all about Giving Tuesday, why it’s vital for your business, and how you can identify a cause mission that will make a difference to your community? Here at DailyKarma, we’re all about making cause marketing work for you and your Shopify store by strengthening brand loyalty.
What is Giving Tuesday?
In short, Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement all about encouraging people to sprinkle good deeds into their day. This day was launched in 2011 as a direct response to the self-focused shopping extravaganza of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The radical idea is to have an international day filled with volunteering and donating.
Did you know that nearlya third of all charitable giving occurs at the end of the year? The holiday season makes people reflect on what’s important, and Giving Tuesday as a movement taps into that pre-existing charitable spirit. This is your moment as a business to encourage people to give and build awareness around causes of your choosing.
If you’re an individual who wants to get involved with Giving Tuesday, but you’re thinking with times as tough as they are, you can’t possibly donate, we want you to remember that giving doesn’t have to be about monetary value. Every act of generosity is an act of giving, and we firmly believe you have plenty to contribute to your community or charity of choice, from helping your neighbor out, lending your voice to a cause, or donating time to a local homeless shelter.
Why is Giving Tuesday Important?
Giving Tuesday is vital because, similarly to how Black Friday helps businesses sway their accounts to be profitable for the year, it allows nonprofit organizations to raise an unprecedented amount of money compared to the rest of the year.
It’s an opportunity for you to leverage your brand to create unique campaigns on a day dedicated to giving back.
How Can Brands Benefit from Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is a moment for you to explore the power of cause marketing. You’ll be surprised by just how much of an impact you can make on a cause you and your customers care about!
You also benefit because many of today’s savvy customers care about the integrity of the businesses they choose to shop with. In fact, 1 in 3 consumers wants to spend more on companies engaged in social good. You see, you have more to gain than a warm fuzzy feeling and a clear conscience!
Some extra benefits to your brand are:
- Build Consumer Trust: when consumers shop somewhere that demonstrates values beyond profit and revenue, they are more likely to have a long-lasting relationship with that brand.
- Good Publicity: brands that align themselves with Giving Tuesday get favorable media coverage and upped engagement on social media.
- Your Employees: whether you’re a company of two or 2,000, 79% of all employees have stated that they prefer working for socially responsible companies. When an employee likes working somewhere, rates of attrition go down.
How Can You Leverage Giving Tuesday as a Brand?
You can get unimaginatively creative with giving back as a brand for Giving Tuesday. You’ve still got over a month to brainstorm and create a cause mission that will rock your consumer’s world.
Here are some Giving Tuesday ideas for your brand:
- Team volunteer day: it feels good to do good. Why not get a sign-up sheet for volunteering together on Giving Tuesday going? Whether it’s collecting trash on the beach, helping at a soup kitchen, or operating the lines at a local mental health hotline, your team is sure to benefit. As a bonus, your social media channels will also be filled with feel-good content.
- Donate for discount: DailyKarma’s flagship donation campaign offers your customer a discount when they donate a preset amount to charity. This has been shown to increase average order value, cart conversions and develop deeper customer brand engagement.
- Incentivize donations with a free product: put the good in social good by rewarding customers with a gift when donating. Try out DailyKarma‘s newest campaign, Donate for Gift.
- Donate a portion of sales: showcase your commitment to a cause by displaying this campaign freely on your website and social media channels. This type of campaign donates a part of every sale and further increases brand loyalty with every sale.
- Match donations: game, set, and match donations this Giving Tuesday. Bolster brand loyalty and impact on not-for-profits by matching your customer’s contributions.
Identifying Your Cause Mission
Fact is, you want to be doing good as a brand, but you also need your cause marketing campaign to reflect the values of your customers and your company. That’s no small feat!
Here are some tips to help you identify your cause mission:
#1 Stay in the here and now: What’s impacting your community today? October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, meaning that many communities will still have this vital fundraising campaign on their minds for Giving Tuesday.
#2 Think local: support the communities your brand does business with
#3 Be consistent: supporting your mission all year round is essential to ensuring you’re not impact-washing. Consumers want you to back your impact marketing year-round and not just roll it out when it’s useful for your bottom line.
Freebie Guide to Giving Tuesday for Shopify Stores
Do you want to learn more about cause categories, search and vet your ideal nonprofit partner, and how to stay compliant while doing good? We’ve got the perfect guide for you if you’re looking for ways of using Giving Tuesday alongside your Shopify Store! Download this free ultimate guide here and learn how to differentiate yourself online, drive conversions, and gain loyal customers to return to you with the power of giving – on Tuesday and beyond!
About Shop for Good by DailyKarma
Are you feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of having to organize a fundraising campaign for Giving Tuesday in a few short weeks? That overwhelm in businesses is precisely why we started DailyKarma in 2018. We build innovative solutions that help brands like yours leverage consumer power for the greater good.
Our goal? Simple! We created Shop for Good by DailyKarma, Shopify’s premiere cause marketing platform. That means giving for Giving Tuesday (and beyond) has just become a whole lot more accessible for you and your brand.
Check out some of your brand case studies here. You may have even been one of the consumers giving back by shopping with brands such as Rare Beauty, John Masters, Biossance, and Quay.
We wish you a wonderful and successful Giving Tuesday and hope the spirit of giving back to communities lifts your brand up this November and beyond!